Start training your dog to stop biting
Biting and nibbling is an instinctive behavior in dogs, but this is not an excuse for agreeing and not straightening.Therefore, in order to protect you and your dog, you must know the ideal methods that help you stop and prevent dog biting behavior.stop my dog from biting
Why do dogs bite??
1- We must distinguish between different types of biting, for example:stop my dog from biting
- Small puppies bite and nibble to discover and try to know what things are, as well as recognize your reaction.
- Older dogs do the same to seek attention, especially if they are not trained.stop my dog from biting
- In both cases, however instinctive the behavior is, you must guide your dog that this behavior is unacceptable.
- Aggressive biting should be stopped immediately and consult a veterinarian to determine the cause.
2- Dogs have a private property and love to keep it like a bed or toy and it may be a certain person … If anyone tries to approach this property he may bite.
3- Fear also of one of the causes of biting. Fear of a certain person or place …. follow the signs of fear well to be able to calm them, such as:
- Subduction of the tail between the legs
- Slumping behind somethingstop my dog from biting
- Disappearing completely of your sight
- Running away
Try to find out if your dog is in pain … The dog may bite to reduce the effect of the pain or the fear of further pain Signs of pain include:
- Changes in eating or drinking.
- Difficult to move.
- limp.stop my dog from biting
5- The new mother may bite for fear of the little puppies … try to reassure her and locate a place for her and tell others to treat her and the puppies with caution.
6- The instinct of hunting in dogs is very strong … They do not like to interrupt them from catching prey, and it may bite you for interrupting him.
7- Learn the signs of aggression in your dog, such as:
Ears are going back
Seeing the whites of the eye and teeth Back hair is aroused
8- Treat the dog with signs of violence with caution and follow these instructions:
- Do not look at him directly in the eye, as it is considered a sign of challenge
- Go back away from the dog and give him an exit.
Training to stop biting and nibbling:
1- All the little puppies bite because of the teething, but you have to differentiate between biting for playing and aggressive biting
- biting for playing is painless and the dog is physically comfortable
Aggressive biting is fast, painful, strong, and the dog’s body is stretched and tense
2- Teach your dog to be gentle with his teeth and with you
- When you feel that the puppy who is teething will start biting … tell him, “no” in a strong voice, but without a sharp tone so that he does not feel afraid of you.
- Stop playing with him for a few seconds and when he stops, pet him and reward him
- If he continues biting, leave it completely and try again later.
3- Use time-out method with your dog stop my dog from biting
- When your dog does not obey you regarding the biting issue, use the timeout, which means the dog is ignored for a period of 10-30 seconds
- When we start biting, look at him him and say no or bad dog ignore him for a period of 10-30 seconds
- It is also possible to leave him in a place alone, such as his crate for the same period and be sitting in front of him until he understands that you are present, but you do not want to play with him, but do not put him in a closed place and leave him.
4- Use the reward method stop my dog from biting
- When your dog begins to respond to you when you say no reward him, the rewards will be a lot in the beginning of training, reduce them gradually so as not to cause the dog to gain weight.
5- Use toys that are suitable for teething and keep away from the bones. Do not rely on violent play with your dog, as it Confuse him& may make him want to prove to you that he is in control. stop my dog from biting
Expert advices to stop biting behavior:
1- In the event of an aggressive biting from your dog, take him to the doctor, as he may have a health problem that requires treatment
2- Sterilize your dog, as this limits the behavior of the biting and aggression in dogs, as it reduces the hormone of testosterone , which makes him want to prove his dominance. stop my dog from biting
3- Always make sure of your dog regularly on his schedule of vaccinations, especially rabies vaccination
4- If your dog is known for biting, do not walk it without his muzzle and the leash that holds it so that you do not fall under the jurisdiction of the law.
5- Do not put your dog under the influence of anxiety and ask him to stop the act of bite
Example: Stay away from crowded places, especially if your dog feels nervous in such places.
6- If you will go with your dog for training, do not leave him alone, then this is beneficial for both of you
Your dog will learn to deal with other dogs and people
Your dog will learn to face his fears. stop my dog from biting
You will learn when to reward or punish your dog.
source of the article: Start training your dog to stop biting