Check out the different feeding systems which one is the best?
A healthy dog diet is essential to a healthy and happy pet. Not only is it to provide your pet with adequate energy for its daily activities, but it is also important for carrying out mental activities. An integrated diet is also particularly important for animals in the early stages of their development. One of the most important things to remember when it comes to how to feed dogs or your pet generally, is to feed them according to the “age group”. healthy dog diet
Pets, especially cats and dogs, require different feeding at different ages of their lives. The key to properly feeding your pet is understanding the best types of food as well as the food delivery system
How to feed dogs and what is appropriate food for dogs? healthy dog diet
Once the dog has reached maturity (which may vary depending on the breed), it is time to settle into a regular feeding routine. To maintain the ideal body condition, every healthy dog diet must include the right balance of the five major nutrient groups: proteins, fats, oils, minerals, vitamins, and carbohydrates.
Any complete, well-made food for pets should provide your dog with this basic nutritional balance. Whether you serve wet or dry food, or a combination of the two is really a matter of personal preference – both for you and for the dog, or perhaps it is affected by certain medical conditions.
Factors on choosing a healthy dog diet
Look for foods rich in protein, carbohydrates and fiber: healthy dog diet
- When thinking about how to feed dogs, you should know that dogs need a diet consisting of protein, carbohydrates and fiber to be healthy and happy. While choosing dog food, be sure to choose foods rich in these nutrients.
- Since dogs live on a protein diet in the wild, this is the most important ingredient to research when choosing dog food. Make sure the diet you choose is rich in protein. Look for dog food brands that use real meat products, or include different proteins in your dog’s diet. Your dog can eat organ meats, such as the heart and liver, which are well cooked and served as dog food at home. Raw food in dogs’ advantages and disadvantages
- Carbohydrates are also important in every healthy dog diet. You can use carbohydrates in products like wheat, corn, and oats. You can also use carbohydrates in green vegetables like spinach or broccoli. Many commercial dog food brands contain these types of carbohydrates for your dog.
- Fruit can be used to ensure your dog has enough fiber in his diet. However, check with your vet before feeding your dog’s fruits. Some fruits, such as grapes, may be toxic to your dog
If you depend on home food for how to feed dogs healthy dog diet
Be aware that some foods are toxic to dogs. Make sure your dog is not given any of the following foods:
- Raisin: Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
- Onions: Onions may cause anemia, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea. This poisoning is especially dangerous in its Akitas species but all species can show signs of toxicity.
- Garlic: Garlic is also part of the onion family. In large doses, it may cause dermatitis and asthma. However, some owners use garlic tablets as a natural flea repellent. Always follow your veterinarian’s instructions carefully.
- yeast dough
- Sugary foods, which can lead to obesity or dental problems Can I give my dog sweets?
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause increased heart rate, insomnia, and vomiting. In large doses, it can be fatal.
- Drinks that contain caffeine
Adjust the type of food according to the age of the dog.
1) If you have a puppy:how to feed dogs
- You may need to find food suitable for puppies. Dogs of these ages have certain nutritional needs that cannot be met with regular dog food
- Puppies should be fed with a mixture of wet and dry food.
- Food should be between 25 and 30% protein.
- Puppies tend to overeat, so it’s a good idea to feed them at normal times rather than with an free feeding system.
2) If you have an older dog: how to feed dogs
- Ask your veterinarian when to start a major diet.
- Very large breeds will need a healthy dog diet early in 5 years.
- You will need increased amounts of some vitamins, such as vitamin E and beta-carotene, which you can find in some commercial dog foods.
- The vet may also prescribe a dietary supplement.
- Watch out for large dog foods that contain low amounts of protein.
- The dog’s need for protein does not change with age
What are the feeding systems used for how to feed dogs?
Free Feeding System: It is when you fill a bowl and leave it to your pet, allowing it to eat whenever it chooses to do. how to feed dogs
|This method works best for dry foods, as it does not spoil quickly like wet dog food||It is not possible to diversify between dry and wet food|
|Low-appetite dogs are encouraged to eat more||The risk of an animal getting overweight due to overeating|
|A suitable system if you are not at home for long periods of time||Food will be the best environment for insects and bacteria that will make it inedible, causing many problems for the digestive system.|
|Easy access of your pet to food at any time||If you have many pets, one of them may become dominant and your other pets are not allowed to reach the food bowl|
scheduled meals system: This system depends on providing meals in fixed quantities at fixed times how to feed dogs
|Each meal has enough food for your pet to eat at once||It takes a long time to prepare several meals throughout the day|
|You can control your pet’s food intake and closely monitor its eating habits||If you have more than one pet at home, you will need to prepare different meals for each of them according to his physical needs (age, weight, health, etc.)|
|Increase the bond between you and your pet||You must adhere to the necessity of being at home according to meal times|
|It can be diversified between different types of food, whether wet or dry, or food prepared at home||It requires effort in preparing meals and diversifying them every time|
|It makes it easier for your dog to get used to eating any kind of food served to him as he is eagerly waiting for the meal||It can lead to aggressiveness in dogs if the dog does not get his meal on time|
|Knowing that the dog is finishing his meal for a specified amount in a specified time period makes any change in these two points a warning for a healthy problem that you can avoid in its beginning|
|The more correct the schedule of meals in the quantity and appointments will make it easier to train your dog to litter box|
2. Mixed feeding system (set quantity system)
- It is that a specific amount of food be placed but left in front of the dog throughout the day
- It depends on the diversification between the open system and the meal system
- It is possible to combine the advantages of both systems
More than 10 important tips on how to feed dogs?
- Generally, a healthy dog diet is offered once or twice a day, depending on the breed.
- If you are not sure how often to feed your dog, consult your veterinarian.
- The dog should be fed in a quiet place, away from the hustle and bustle of the home.
- Choose a surface that can be easily cleaned, such as tiled floor or feeding mat.
- Always serve food in a clean bowl; Ceramic or metal utensils are preferred.
- If you have other dogs at home, feed them separately to avoid bullying and fighting
- Try to serve moist food at room temperature, because it smells more attractive and easier to digest. This may take some time if the food is kept in the refrigerator, or you can put the moist food in the microwave for a short period until it becomes warm to the touch.
- Avoid leaving wet food outside the refrigerator, as it may spoil quickly. Alternatively, you can leave the dry food outside the refrigerator during the day and it will not spoil.
- If dogs are fed dry food, store it in a clean, dry environment. For example, a sealed package to keep the food good.
- Most dogs like to eat dry food, but if your dog prefers to moisturize it, or if there is a medical reason to avoid solid food, leave the food in a bowl of water for up to 30 minutes before serving.
- It is not recommended to exercise a sport an hour before or after eating.
- Make sure your dog gets water. Water is essential to a dog’s health, especially if you live in a warm area. Keep the dog water at all times. Monitor the water container and refill it when necessary.
Steps to choose a healthy dog diet
- Find out how much food your dog needs:
- Before you start feeding your dog, you should check to see how much food your dog needs.
- Dogs need different amounts of food, depending on their size and level of activity. Excessive feeding or lack of a dog can affect its health.
- As a general rule, if you have a small breed, your dog should eat 1.5 cups of food per day for approximately 22 pounds of dog weight.
- For large dogs, eat one cup of food per day for every 22 pounds of dog weight.
- There are other factors to watch out for: if your dog is overweight, particularly active, or ill, he may need more or less food.
- If you are concerned that your dog has special needs, ask your vet for nutrition recommendations.
- Decide whether or not to follow a free feeding regime.
- Depending on how dogs feed on the free system means leaving a bowl of food at all times and refilling it when necessary.
- Breastfeeding mothers may need a free feeding system, because they need more nutrients. Pregnancy in dogs and Nursing period
- If you have a dog that does not seem to be eating well, you may be able to avoid this problem by feeding it in the free system but you should closely monitor its weight.
- If you choose free feeding system, use dry food as it will not spoil.
- Set eating times if you want to feed your dog according to a schedule.
- It is best to feed the dog according to a schedule. This way, you will make sure your dog gets only the recommended amount of food for his size and age.
- You can feed your dog two meals a day, while maintaining recommended feeding amounts for his breed and size.
- Try to feed the dog at about the same time every day so that it knows when to expect food and feel hungry at meal times.
- Divide the amount of food your dog needs into two meals a day. If your dog needs a cup of food per day, for example, give him half a cup at breakfast and half a cup at night.
- Reduce feeding time if necessary. If your dog is not trained to eat according to a schedule, you may have to limit meal times to get used to eating at a certain time.
- If you follow a healthy dog diet from canned foods. You can put food on the floor for 30 minutes, and remove food after this time period expires. Ultimately, the dog must learn to eat at mealtimes.
- Be careful when removing your dog’s food. Some dogs may become aggressive if you remove food from the dog
- Reducing rewards to prevent obesity.
- Rewards must represent 5% of a dog’s daily calories.
- Many rewards can lead to problems like obesity.
- Do not reward your dog throughout the day
A healthy dog diet Is it easy to achieve?
- It is difficult to establish a system agreed by the dog and the breeder.
- As dogs are always feeling hungry, they are busy regulating an eating schedule.
- Therefore, it is always preferable to mix the second and third systems.
- The amount of food is saturated, not much, and raised after 15-20 minutes.
- Knowing that the dog will not need all this time in case that he does not have any health problems, he will finish his meal in less time than this
How many meals for dogs a day should be provided in any healthy dog diet?
- Meals vary depending on the dog’s age and health condition:
- From the age of two months to 6 months, the number of meals is between 3-4 meals per day
- From the age of 6 months to one year, the number of meals is only two meals during the day
- At the age of the year, the number of meals provided decreases to only one meal per day.
- If more than 12 hours have elapsed between meals, the stomach may become hyperacid, causing nausea
- In case of illness, the doctor may advise to reduce the number of meals or make them more, but in much smaller quantities, depending on each case.